2013-08-22

At the cross road of life

SATURDAY 100 WORDS FOR WRITE TRIBE:

 
Everyday, he saw the old lady sitting with her dog, smiling at him as he scurries towards the bus stop at Andheri. One day, he was smoking a cigarette and overheard the homeless lady speaking in English. He grew curious and approached her. She eyes him lovingly, "I know you since long. I was your supervisor when you joined the company as an intern. I am Mala Singh." He was horrified, "Ma'am! You! She smiles, "Destiny, Beta! Who would have thought that from a millionaire I would end up on the streets." He forcibly took her and the dog to his apartment.

*****************************************************************************
Note:
In response to 100 Words on Saturday: writetribe.com challenge. The story was inspired by the plight of former editor of a magazine and millionaire, Sunita Naik, who ended up sleeping on the streets in Mumbai. The article first appeared in Mid-day and since then, the lady and her sole companion the dog were sheltered by a nice family. I often wonder what's life has in store for us and we should never trust someone with money and bank accounts.
Here's the link:
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/aug/180813-mumbai-former-editor-millionaire-found-living-on-the-streets.htm

2 comments:

Mina Menon said...

Thats a interesting story there! Imagine becoming homeless n not even whimpering abt it!

Vishal Bheeroo said...

Hi Mina, it was a true story and I was shocked. She seems to be a jovial lady who know five languages. Often, I wonder what we are and what we become. I am glad a s selfless family sheltered her. I pray that she gets a job. I did gave my own twist in what if it was someone we know.
Thanks for commenting
Vishal